Thursday, April 30, 2009

Missed Opportunities



I adore nature photography. Nothing makes me happier than tramping through the woods with my camera strung around my neck, ducking through underbrush trying to find a good shot. If I had my own way about things, I'd make a living doing exactly that.

That being said, I also enjoy portraiture. Not quite as much, but I do get more of a sense of accomplishment from a good portrait, because, for me, portraits are more difficult.

There was the possibility recently of my shooting senior portraits for a cousin of a cousin. I was psyched about it; it had been about a year since my last actual "shoot" for people who weren't family. When the cousin finally contacted me to set up a time for the shoot, it was to let me know that the photos had to be done the next day, because the deadline for yearbook photos was the day after. There was no possible way on this green earth I would have had time to work within that deadline, having two kids to care for and all. I can't just drop the kids on someone at the drop of a hat and run off to shoot pictures. I'm a mom - I have to schedule everything to within an inch of it's life.

I'm disappointed that I missed the opportunity to build my portfolio, but that's just more incentive for me to go out and hunt down more prospective portrait shoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment